By choosing pre-shaped components from VBN Components you reduce the impact on the environment as follows:
- Less material needs to be processed.
- Energy consuming processes like forging, rolling, sawing, turning, milling, drilling, etc. are avoided.
- The use of cutting fluids are drastically reduced.
Example: Heavy material saves on gear cutting hobs
Below is a comparison between traditional hob manufacturing from a steel bar and the VBN 3D-printed Near-Net-Shape technology with data from a large number of real manufacturing tests. The result is that the VBN technology saves 87 % material!
|Yield traditional manufacturing||Yield VBN Additive Manufacturing|
|Manufacturing of steel bar||~70 %||–|
|Manufacturing of hob blank||~50 %||~98 %|
|Total material yield manufacturing||~35 %||~98 %|
|Traditional manufacturing||VBN Additive manufacturing|
|Yield manufacturing||35 %||98 %|
|Performance (feed)||100 %||200 %|
|Weight hob||15.3 kg||11.2 kg|
|Number of produced gears/gear hob||7150 pcs||14300 pcs|
|Hob material consumption per produced gear HMCPPG*||6.1 g||0.80 g|
- The first grinding removes more material for the 3D-printed part, but the following grindings are the same.
- The material savings on fewer coatings are not included.
- The calculation is based on a traditional manufacturing where the steel bar is very close to the wanted diameter, which is not always the case.